UNICEF Nutrition Specialist NOC Job Vacancy in Nigeria June 2013
Nutrition Specialist, NOC, Bauchi and Kaduna
Post Title: Nutrition Specialist, NOC
Vacancy number: VN-NGR-03-2013
Location: Bauchi and Kaduna
Deadline for application: 6 March, 2013
UNICEF Nigeria June seeks the services of an experienced Nutrition Specialist who will be responsible for the formulation, design, planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluation of Nutrition project(s) to ensure overall efficiency and effectiveness of the project management, delivery and accomplishment of project goals and objectives in the Bauchi and Kaduna field offices.
The successful candidate will be expected to carry out the following duties:
1. Enhance effective project, sectoral or inter-sectoral planning, development and management by coordinating and supporting the timely completion of the Situational Analysis and its periodic update through accurate and complete monitoring and analysis, and the timely preparation or finalization of sectoral input.
2. Further promote knowledge management by drafting sectoral documents and reports such as the Country Programme Recommendation and Plans of Action as well as through orientation and training programmes targeted to Government authorities. Ensure exchange of knowledge, information, experience or lessons learned; provides solid technical recommendations on major programme directions and on introduction of new initiatives in the country.
3. Promote the quality of rights-based Nutrition projects and programmes through participation in the formulation of programme/project goals, strategies and approaches. Bring coherence, synergy and added value to sectoral or project management processes using a results-based management approach to planning and design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
4. Support the development of the sectoral work plan and technical decisions as well as for project management, implementation and monitoring of assigned project/sectoral activity, in compliance with the defined project strategies and approaches. Ensure the appropriateness of financial, administrative and supply documentation; verify that Nutrition project expenditures are within allotments and that data is consistent with the project information and database (e.g., FLS, ProMS). Follow up on queries or initiate corrective action on discrepancies.
5. Ensure project, sectoral or inter-sectoral efficiency and delivery through transparent evaluation. Participate in major evaluation exercises, programme reviews and annual sector review meetings with government counterparts. Ensure the preparation of annual Nutrition sector status reports.
6. Promote the organization goals of UNICEF through advocacy dialogue, communication, networking and participation at every opportunity inside and outside UNICEF, leveraging the strength of UNICEF mission, goals and programmes.
7. Coordinates with Operations and Supply staff on supply and non-supply assistance activities ensuring proper and timely UNICEF and Government accountability. Certifies disbursements of funds, monitors and submits financial status reports to management in compliance with the regulations and guidelines.
8. Ensure exchange of information, experience, identify new strategies and courses of action to accelerate/improve delivery of services and achieve Nutrition programme requirements and objectives. Conduct field visits to monitor programmes and conduct periodic programme reviews with Government counterparts and other partners.
Collaborate with Communication and Programme Communication groups to ensure development of effective communication materials and strategies to support advocacy and social mobilization efforts.
Coordinate with Regional Advisers and HQ Officers. Collaborate with other Project or Programme Officers to ensure the integration of the project/sectoral programme with other sectors.
Collaborate with the Operations and Supply Sections and Government authorities to establish and maintain sound internal controls supportive of Nutrition project or sectoral planning and implementation, to coordinate financial and supply management requirements as well as to ensure accountability.
Interact with Government and other partners, NGOs, UN and bilateral agencies in the different stages of Health programme/project implementation to follow up on agreements and recommendations. Provide technical support and guidance on appropriate technical, financial and institutional capacity building measures to achieve Nutrition programme goals.
Minimum qualifications and competencies
• Advanced university degree in one of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: Public Health & Nutrition, Health Sciences, International Health & Nutrition, Family Health & Nutrition, Nutritional Epidemiology, Health & Nutrition Education, Health & Nutrition Promotion and Disease Prevention, Public Health, Health Emergency Preparedness, or other relevant discipline(s).
• Five years of relevant professional work experience.
• Field work experience
• Background/familiarity with Emergency.
• Fluency in oral and written English is required.
• Analytical and conceptual ability and strategic thinking;
• Proven ability to conceptualize, develop, plan and manage programmes as well as impart knowledge and teach skills.
• Planning and monitoring skills; ability to organize work and projects.
• Ability to make timely and quality judgments and decisions.
• Knowledge of the latest developments and technology in related fields.
• Communication, advocacy and networking skills.
• Supervisory and managerial skills.
• Leadership and teamwork abilities
• Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment, team work and establish harmonious and effective working relationships both within and outside the organization.
• Initiative, passion and commitment to UNICEF’s mission and professional values.
Method of Application
If you are interested in the position and meet the requirements, please send cover letter (one page summary statement that describes how your experience and qualification relate to the job description) and a scanned/PDF copy of the completed and signed UN Personal History Form (which can be downloaded here) to email@example.com.
Please put the position title you are applying for on the subject line of your email.
UNICEF, a smoke-free environment, is committed to gender equality in its mandate and its staff. Well qualified candidates, particularly women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.