Adam Smith International is an award-winning global company that delivers impact, value and lasting change through economic growth and government reform. Our reputation as a global leader has been built on the positive results our projects have achieved in many of the world’s most challenging environments.
Job Title: Deputy Team Leader (DTL) – MAFITA – Nigeria
- Reporting to the Team Leader, the DTL will play an important technical and strategic leadership role, supporting delivery of interventions across all four programme components.
- In addition, the DTL will hold line management responsibility for research, Monitoring & Results Measurement (MRM), and the stakeholder engagement unit.
- Together with the Team Leader, the DTL will represent MAFITA to external stakeholders and play a key role in building and managing effective partnerships.
- Contributing to setting the programme’s strategy together with the DFID, and the Project Director and the Senior Management Team.
- Liaising closely with the Team Leader and providing strategic and technical input across the programme as needed.
- Line management of specific programme functions. Example responsibilities include:
- MRM: overseeing delivery and continual upgrading of MAFITA’s MRM system, with a focus on both rigorously proving programme results and continually improving performance, as well as value for money measurement.
- Research: effectively integrating research and evidence into programme interventions and the MRM system, running new analysis and diagnoses (e.g. assessing intervention opportunities in Jigawa state), ensuring research is accessible and useable by all programme components.
- Other functions as required.
- Inputs to strategic and operational planning. Leading design and delivery of new programme activities.
- Managing project resources to effectively and efficiently deliver outputs.
- Ensuring that the principles of the project are maintained in all activities.
- Identifying new partners for the project and together with the Team Leader in developing suitable offers of support.
- Together with the Project Managers, representing the project in the Team Leader’s absence.
- A demonstrated track record in a field relevant to the duties and accountabilities of the position
- An undergraduate (and preferably postgraduate) degree in a relevant field
- Experience in international development for a consultancy firm, development agency or NGO
- Strong technical experience in at least one of the following areas (experience in more than one area is desirable):
- Youth employment / empowerment
- Skills development / general education
- Local economic development / job creation / value chains and market systems development
- Substantial experience in effectively managing complex, multi-stakeholder projects or large organisations
- Experience in designing and managing project-centred monitoring and evaluation work
- Preferably experience living and working in Nigeria or elsewhere in Africa
- Fluency in English, knowledge of Hausa is desirable
- Excellent interpersonal skills, communications and writing skills